VKN

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Old Songs

We were raised in a fairly poor home, but my parents made sure we were watered, fed and clothed decently. We never had TVs or anything until long later. We had an old National radio, which was a lot like today’s TV, with news, songs, drama, and comedy – not to mention the assortment of commercials from Colgate tooth powder to Family planning. All India Radio had programs that catered to people of all class. There was “vayalum veedum” for farmers, “kambola nilavara bulletin” for Wall Street enthusiasts and copra wholesalers, “bala lokam” for kids, “yuva vaani” for youths, and “kandathum kettathum” for housewives youth and the jobless alike. My favorite was the music programs – “Chalachithra Gaanangal”. There was a one hour encore presentation every Sunday at 1 PM, called Ranjini that featured popular film songs. I associated “Ranjini” with the smell of fish curry made with sour mango, because being weekends Amma always made lunch around that time, with fish curry and sour mangos.

There are a few songs that still give me goose bumps, no matter how often I listen to them. “Innum Ente Kannu neeril…” and “Kannay Kalai Maaney…” by Yesudas are two of them. Every time I listen to these songs, my eyes tear up. The music just goes straight into my heart. I don’t know what is special about those old songs. I don’t know if it is the earthy lyrics or the simple music. But it sure sang directly to my soul.
Click the links to listen:

8 Comments:

Blogger Anoop said...

Well now we have better lyrics and utopian musics. Tunnu these days hum,

"Madhayana Madhayaaana.. Pidiyaana Pidiyaana" from T Gul

12:48 AM  
Blogger Mad Max said...

hmm those were the days..when i was a kid it used to be oliyum oliyum (tamizh naatil) i think from 8 to 8:45 followed by news on friday nights...well well cable has changed a lot of things i guess..i'm not even sure if oliyum oliyum still exists..hmm on the other music is straight from the heart man..i agree with u on that

4:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi...even today i am die hard radio fan...not FM...but good old MW. I think radio is one of the most underestimated media we have.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Thanu said...

Songs can bring back great memories. As a kid mom taught us lot of Chrisitan hymns. She would sing and then ask us to sing after her. Even today when I'm at church and when the choirs sings one of those songs, I become the little girls sitting on the steps in the back of our house and I see my mom singing the exact same song.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Vinod/Kakka said...

Still remember walking home from church at around 1:00 pm. You could walk down the road, listening to the radios playing in the houses. One channel, one programme, and you would not miss a beat.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Muhammad Riyaz said...

Indeed those days were great. I used to tune to Ranjini, once I stopped tuning to the Balalokam on Sundays. Dont know if they have Ranjini - ningalavashyappetta chalachithra gaanangal yet.

When at Trivandrum, I used to listen to a 15 minutes "Smruthi Madhuram" on FM while driving to office. That made my long blocks at Sreekaryam not so frustrating

10:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i get the title song of vayalum veedum

6:17 AM  
Anonymous ganz said...

how wl i gt the title song of vayalum veedum?

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home