VKN

Sunday, May 14, 2006

A day in the life of ...

Akaayil small kittunni, a.k.a my son Sriram, seems to be going through some sort of emotional crisis. Today was particularly bad. He woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Everything was wrong for him since. He did not want to use his regular tooth brush. Chutney was on the wrong side of the plate. He was served white idly, when he wanted purple ones. He did not like Iran’s defiant rhetoric.

I resisted my temptation to ‘handle’ him since I am not supposed to do so. I am told that spanking will only humiliate and hurt a child, and teaches him that physical intimidation is the real way to get what you want. I suppressed my anger and frustration and pretended to ignore him, resigning to witness the series of events that unfolded in front of me. He shredded my books, pulled down the window blinds, threw his toys at me, threw the remote control at the TV, spit on the carpet, pulled his mother’s hair, threatened to invade Iran – all while screaming at the top of his tiny lungs.

His mother and I remained calm and sober, like Gautam Budha after a bachelor’s party. His crying spell followed a well plotted sinuous curve. It peaked and declined, and peaked and declined again. At times it appeared as though he was processed by the evil spirit of Hugo Chavez. We waited for his ‘baadha’ to pass. And the chathan did leave eventually, after almost an hour.

When the smoke cleared, I looked at him with a poker face. He tried to smile and asked: “towel daddy..”, I played deaf. Then, as though I don’t understand English, he repeated his request in Malayalam “thorttu venam”, this time flashing more molars. Unable to attract any attention he wiped his tears in his shirt and said “I am done, I am done crying daddy”.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sapna Anu B.George said...

Hats off to your patience as parents.... keep up the good work, kittunni will appreciate you for this some day, for teaching him to compose/calm, himself.

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you did the best thing. It is always better to let them blow off steam and not loose your cool.Hitting the child is cruel as he is a kid and still not in control of his amotions.Once he knows that you will not give in to tanrums he won't try it. Next time he tries this, both of you can pretend to be engrossed in talking or work. Give him attention when he is doing something nice. This gives a message that good deeds will get attention and bad deeds will not.Most of the time children scream because they realise that they get attention from adults this way.

AP

3:52 AM  
Blogger Anoop said...

I wish I had the luxury of looking at my son throwing a cricket ball on to my newly bought Plasma elivisham (Sopnangal.. Sopnangale )

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahaha.. this sounds great! In India, hitting children is a videly accepted phenomenon. Open the idiot box and you will find mega serials in which angery women are shown beating up their children to cool their heads after some diffrence of opinion with their husband. I wish someone tell our so called gen X parents about bringing up children. I am sure VKN had the privilege of going trough several counselling sessions before his son was even born. This sort of approach will definitely make the child realise that no one is there to listen to his high decibel drama for getting things done.
Next time he would think twice before risking his vocal chord..!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Gouri said...

cool site..u write really well..keep it up!!

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home